Ian McShane is an English actor.
Born in Blackburn, Lancashire, McShane studied at the Royal Academy of Dramatic Art and was a member of the National Youth Theatre before his screen debut in 1962. He made a number of television appearances, including Judas Iscariot in Jesus of Nazareth and Heathcliff in Wuthering Heights. It was television for which he became best known, playing the lead character of Lovejoy as well as Al Swearengen in Deadwood.
McShane also became a character actor in a number of major films, such as Blackbeard in Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Cuban Fury and John Wick, as well as a renowned voice actor, appearing in Shrek the Third, The Golden Compass and Kung Fu Panda among others.
McShane first sang in his early film If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium and his largest singing role as Darryl Van Horne in the original cast of the stage musical The Witches of Eastwick. He also sang "The Unfortunate Rake" in his long-running role on Deadwood.
If It's Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium (1969)
- I'd Be Satisfied for Life (solo)
- The Unfortunate Rake (solo)
The Witches of Eastwick (2000)(originated the role)
- I Love a Little Town (contains solo lines)
- Eye of the Beholder (duet)
- Waiting for the Music to Begin (duet)
- Words, Words, Words (duet)
- I Wish I May (contains solo lines)
- Dance With the Devil (contains solo lines)
- Who's the Man (contains solo lines)
- The Wedding (contains solo lines)