This is about the stage musical. For the film, see Call Me Madam (1953 film).
Call Me Madam is a musical by Irving Berlin.
- Ethel Merman - Sally Adams
- Paul Lukas - Cosmo Constantine
- Russell Nype - Kenneth Gibson
- Galina Talva - Princess Maria
- Pat Harrington - Congressman Wilkins
- Jay Velie - Senator Brockbank
- Ralph W. Chambers - Senator Gallagher
Sally Adams, Washington's "hostess with the mostes'," is named Ambassador to the Grand Duchy of Lichtenburg - a tiny kingdom steeped in royal custom and rapidly changing coalition governments. Kenneth Gibson, an eager young diplomat, is assigned to be her aide. True to her almost total disrespect for protocol, Sally arrives late in Lichtenburg. There she encounters foreign minister Cosmo Constantine, not, however, to the degree her romantic nature would like. Worse yet, Cosmo refuses American foreign aid. Sally gets talked into a scheme to get Cosmo elevated to Prime Minister to make way for a new foreign minister eager to accept American money to "save" the country.
When the loan is all but consummated, Cosmo finds out about it and resigns. This ruins all possibilities for another coalition, and the country must hold its first general election in twenty years. Sally openly campaigns for Cosmo, forcing her recall to Washington for becoming involved in another government's internal affairs. Kenneth, too, commits a grave diplomatic error by falling in love with the Princess Maria and arranging secret meetings with her. However, a spirit of democracy is over Lichtenburg. The princess is granted permission to ask Kenneth to marry her. Elected Prime Minister, Cosmo visits Sally in Washington to grant her the royal order of Dame and revive their "acquaintance."
- Act I
- "Mrs. Sally Adams" - Guests
- "The Hostess with the Mostes' on the Ball" - Sally
- "The Washington Square Dance" - Sally and Guests
- "Lichtenburg" - Cosmo and Staff
- "Can You Use Any Money Today?" - Sally
- "Marrying for Love" - Cosmo
- "The Ocarina" - Maria and Staff
- "It's a Lovely Day" - Kenneth and Maria
- "The Best Thing for You" - Sally
- "Finale Act I" - Sally
- Act II
- "Lichtenburg" (reprise) - Cosmo and Staff
- "Something to Dance About" - Sally and Guests
- "Once Upon a Time, Today" - Kenneth
- "They Like Ike" - Wilkins, Brockbank and Gallagher
- "It's a Lovely Day Today" (reprise) - Kenneth and Maria
- You're Just in Love" - Kenneth and Maria
- "The Best Thing for You" (reprise) - Sally and Cosmo
- "It's a Lovely Day Today" (second reprise) - Sally and Kenneth
- "Mrs. Sally Adams" (reprise) - Guests
- "Finale" - Sally, Cosmo, Maria, Kenneth and Chorus